We are now accepting requests for all programs for the current academic school year. For general inquiries or to schedule a program for the next school year, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This policy was last updated on April 21, 2015.
This policy describes the privacy practices of Eversource (“Eversource,” “our,” or “we”). It explains how we collect, use, and store information about visitors to nstarchallenge.com and eversourceinschool.com (collectively, the “Websites”).
1. What information do we gather about you?
2. How do we gather information?
3. What do we do with the information we gather?
4. With whom do we share the information that we gather?
5. How do we handle personal information of children under the age of 13?
6. How do you change, update, or delete your personal information?
7. What else should you know about Eversource’s privacy practices?
9. Whom should you contact if you have questions?
1. WHAT INFORMATION DO WE GATHER ABOUT YOU?
The information we gather falls into two categories:
Personal information is information that identifies you, such as your name and contact information. We collect this information only when you choose to provide it to us. For example, we collect personal information when you register to participate in a contest, such as the Eversource Challenge, or when you participate in a survey, such as the Energy Quest.
Non-personal information is information that our technology collects in aggregate, without identifying you. Non-personal information includes your Internet connection, the device you use to access the Websites, and tracking data relating to your use of the Websites.
We gather the following types of information:
Contact & Demographic Information: When you participate in a sweepstakes, contest, survey, or an Eversource program, you will need to provide us with personal information such as your name, address, and email address. You may also need to provide some basic demographic information, such as information about the school with which you are associated and your grade level, and/or your town or postal code.
Usage Information: We may log certain non-personal information about your use of the Websites. In addition, if you contact us, we may log information about the means through which you contacted us and our interaction with you.
Device Information: We may collect non-personal information about the computer, mobile device, or other device you use to access the Websites. This information may include your IP address, unique device identifiers, browser type, browser language, and other transactional information.
2. HOW DO WE GATHER INFORMATION?
You voluntarily provide information to us. You may choose to provide us with contact, demographic, or other personal information to participate in a promotion or survey, or to request information about our programs or otherwise take advantage of our services. If you contact us, we may collect information about our interaction with you.
Log Files. As is true of most Websites, we may gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data.
We allow third parties to gather information. Some of the services on the Websites may be operated by third party companies, which may track certain non-personal information about the Websites’ users through cookies, web beacons, or other methods. These third parties gather this information for the purpose of understanding how users are using the Websites, and making improvements to them.
Third parties collect, use, and store information according to their own privacy policies. We do not have control over third party privacy practices. You may contact that third party directly to opt-out of future messages from them. Your access to the Websites should not be affected if you do not accept cookies served by third parties.
3. WHAT DO WE DO WITH THE INFORMATION WE GATHER?
Our approach to sharing information with third parties. We do not sell, license, rent, or swap your personal information without your permission, except as set out in this policy or as required by law. We may share non-personal information with third parties.
Specific ways in which we use personal information. We use personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide information, products, and services you request and communicate with you about that information or those products and services.
- To operate contests and other promotions and communicate with you about them.
- To operate surveys and communicate with you about them.
- To provide you with updates about major changes to the Websites.
- To email you information about Eversource products and services. You may opt-out at any time by following the opt-out instructions in the email.
- To improve our services and personalize your experience with us.
- To disclose your opt-out information to third parties so they can suppress your name from future solicitations.
Specific ways in which we use non-personal information. We use non-personal information for the following purposes:
- To analyze statistical, demographic, and marketing information for product development purposes and to understand usage and traffic trends and improve our relationship with you.
- To gauge the effectiveness of our communications.
4. WITH WHOM DO WE SHARE THE INFORMATION WE GATHER?
Service Providers. We may contract with service providers, such as Boston Globe Media Experiential, Omniture, Survey Monkey to help us with email distribution, list processing, analytics, promotions management, and other aspects of our Websites and programs. We provide service providers only with the information they need to perform their services. We prohibit them from sharing, reselling, or using our data for their own marketing purposes.
Partners. We may buy, sell to, or merge, or partner with another company. We may share personal and non-personal information with other companies in the course of such transactions.
Others, as required. We may disclose personal and non-personal information if we have a good faith belief that disclosure is necessary to comply with the law or with legal process, such as to comply with a subpoena, protect and defend our rights and property, to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of our Websites, or to protect the personal safety or property of our users or the public.
- For example, we may release personal information to comply with a court order or subpoena.
- If you provide false information or attempt to pose as someone else, we may release personal information as part of any investigation into your actions.
5. HOW DO WE HANDLE PERSONAL INFORMATION OF CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13?
The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”), a law that protects the online privacy of children, requires us to inform parents and legal guardians about how we collect, use, and disclose personal information from children. (For purposes of this section, the term “children” refers to individuals under the age of 13.)
A Responsible Adult may allow us to collect personal information from a child under the age of 13 without consenting to the disclosure of this information to third parties. A Responsible Adult may also ask to have a child’s personal information deleted and/or refuse further collection or use of the child’s information. To do so, please contact us at email@example.com. We will take appropriate steps to address such requests.
We will delete personal information that we learn has been provided to us by a child. Please contact us if you believe a child has provided personal information in violation of this section, if you have concerns about children’s privacy issues in connection with the use of this Websites, or if you have any other questions relating to privacy issues.
6. HOW DO YOU CHANGE, UPDATE, OR DELETE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Changes to Personal Information: You may review and update your account information by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Opting Out: If you wish to discontinue receiving any specific email from us, simply follow the unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of the email.
Data Retention: We will retain your information for as long as we provide you with services. We will also retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services, contact us at email@example.com.
7. WHAT ELSE SHOULD YOU KNOW ABOUT OUR PRIVACY PRACTICES?
Data Security. We use commercially reasonable physical, technical, and managerial controls to protect personal information from our readers. We cannot, however, guarantee that the information will remain permanently secure. It’s possible that technical problems could cause your information to be lost, or that the information could be stolen from our databases. We are not responsible for any such loss, theft, or other security breach.
California Privacy Rights. If you are a California resident, you have the right, under California Civil Code Section 1798.83, to request and obtain from us, once a year and free of charge, a list of the third parties to whom we have disclosed personal information for their direct marketing purposes in the prior calendar year. Please email requests for such information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. HOW CAN YOU FIND OUT ABOUT CHANGES TO THIS POLICY?
9. WHOM SHOULD YOU CONTACT IF you HAVE QUESTIONS?
General contact information. If you have any questions or comments regarding our information or security practices, you may contact us at email@example.com.
Unsubscribe Requests. If you would like to contact us about unsubscribing from our email lists, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide all of your email addresses that could appear on our email lists, as well as the name of the newsletter or type of content from which you would like to unsubscribe.